|Certified Dream Coach|
It’s the start of a brand new year. A fresh start. Another year to learn and grow mentally, physically, emotionally & spiritually — an opportunity to create a better life for yourself. Whether you want to write a book, make more money, get fit, stay healthy, have more fun, retire… whatever you desire, the new year offers us one more chance to create real change.
There Is Great Learning In Mistakes
As odd as it may sound, this is also another year to make mistakes. This quote by author Neil Gaiman perfectly captures my new year’s wish for all of us…
“I hope that in this year to come, you make mistakes. Because if you are making mistakes, then you are making new things, trying new things, learning, living, pushing yourself, changing yourself, changing your world. You’re doing things you’ve never done before, and more importantly, you’re Doing Something. So that’s my wish for you, and all of us, and my wish for myself. Make New Mistakes. Make glorious, amazing mistakes. Make mistakes nobody’s ever made before. Don’t freeze, don’t stop, don’t worry that it isn’t good enough, or it isn’t perfect, whatever it is: art, or love, or work or family or life. Whatever it is you’re scared of doing, Do it. Make your mistakes, next year and forever.”
Why? Because mistakes are simply how we learn to be successful. Success is a learned behavior.
Use the Wisdom of Life’s Journey to Your Advantage
We can do better and be better by using everything we’ve learned in life up to this point — from our mistakes as well as our successes. Earlier this week, I did a little private coaching by posing this question from a Lifehacker.com article to the members of One Degree Shift:
If you could give only one piece of advice for 2018, what would it be?
We have so much wisdom in our community, so I thought a great way to kick off the new year would be to hear their best advice. I’ve compiled their sage advice below. Each one offers a powerful and unique course of action to help us create our best year yet.
Which piece of advice hits close to home for you?
- Demitres Carriere, who works in the nursing field, offered her perspective: “Take care of yourself so that you can take care of others!”
- Susan K. Younger, Certified BANKCODE Trainer, Massage Therapist, and Design Consultant says, “Be flexible and have patience. There is always more than one way to get your desired results, and things seldom unfold in exactly the time frame we think or hope they might happen within.”
- “Live in the moment. Enjoy right now, today. Yesterday only holds memories and regrets and tomorrow holds our wishes and worries,” explained Suzanne Rasco Duque, successful entrepreneur, author, and accounting professional.
- Khatonia McCarty, attorney and author, reminds us this year to, “Never forget to F-L-Y – First Love Yourself!”
- Entrepreneur and mom-extraordinaire, Johnnene Addison-Gay provides wise instruction, “Be intentional about being successful. Life shouldn’t just happen. Make it happen the way you want it!”
And, that’s not all.
- Beachbody Coach Joy Love Covalt has this encouragement, “Practice gratitude first thing in the morning. Listen more to others and learn from the conversation.”
- Melissa Foster, educator and entrepreneur, shared her passionate recommendation, “Don’t make resolutions. Make decisions, devise a plan, and follow through on them.”
- Life Coach Terri Wilson-Bush offered a powerful mantra, “I let go, I let God, I let it be, I am free.”
- Kimberly Garrett, Executive Assistant, whose support extends beyond the workplace, gave this winning tip, “Be approachable and willing to learn new things. People notice a can-do attitude and want you on their team.”
- “Believe in yourself at all times. You are a difference maker.” said Sue Corbran, bestselling author and advocate for LGBTQ teens.
- And, finally, Kathi LaRose Palmer of Palmer Heart & Soul Properties reminds us, “Celebrate the victories no matter how small!”
How Can You Apply Life’s Lessons to Your Life?
What’s your best advice for the New Year? What have you learned that you think would benefit others? Pick the one piece of advice that you consider your best and share it in the comments below. Reach down and share your deepest truth and sometimes you’ll find the simplest advice is often the most profound.
I can’t wait to read your suggestions!
Imagine being part of a community where you can learn and grow with people who are uplifting and making a positive difference. Want to become a powerful Influencer in One Degree Shift and uncover the difference you are meant to make. Join Now!