Most of us say no to things that could literally transform our lives. We say no to new ideas and approaches, creative possibilities, and unexpected adventures. We need to say yes more! I’m not suggesting that you say yes to everything that comes your way, but I suspect you could say yes to more than you do. We say no a lot! Some of us say no so often that it’s become a habit that we don’t even realize we have. Responding no to all that life has to offer will keep you playing small and dwelling in your comfort zone, and nothing truly amazing happens there.
How many times have you said no to opportunities that could change your life because you were too afraid, too worried about what others might think, too busy with low payoff activities that rob your time, or too concerned about whether you could afford it. We often let our fears guide us to say no, instead of following the still, small voice inside gently nudging us to say yes. (BTW… if there is a question as to whether it’s a yes or no, there is probably a yes inside somewhere believing you can.)
I read an article by writer-comedian Tina Fey. In it, she shares a three-letter word to which she owes her success. That word is “yes.” If you want happiness, success, or to make a difference, just say yes! Saying yes creates more opportunities. In fact, you won’t even see the opportunities all around you until you say yes. Saying yes keeps you open to grow and learn more about yourself. What amazing things might happen if you had the courage to say yes, even if you are a little unsure? Here’s what is certain: Saying no will close the door to anything new happening.
Tina Fey credits the rules she learned in improv comedy to her career success and the way she lives her life. She acknowledges, “Life is improvisation.” Tina remarks in the article, “I’ve been called on to do things where I felt, Maybe I’m not quite ready. Maybe it’s a little early for this to happen to me. But the rules are so ingrained, Say yes, and figure it out afterward.” In other words, say yes before you’re ready because there is never a perfect time.
“If someone offers you an amazing opportunity and you are not sure you can do it, say yes. Then learn how to do it later.” — Richard Branson
THINK ABOUT IT
- Catch yourself in the act of saying no. Then, ask yourself: “Am I rejecting a chance to learn and grow, to try something new, or stretch my potential because I’m afraid to fail or I’m not sure what to expect?
- Pay attention to the voice inside nudging you to say yes. Try it! Say yes (or at least learn more about the opportunity).
- Ask yourself, “What is the best that could happen if I say yes?”
- Say yes to something you would normally turn down. Try a new item on the menu or see a movie you would normally avoid. Say yes to more of what life has to offer, instead of staying with what you already know.
- Is there something great and amazing happening in your life right now? If so, you had to say yes to something in order to allow it. Nothing amazing happens until you say yes!
There is power in the words that we think and speak. You know this. The word “no” is a negative word that keeps us stagnant, while “yes” is an empowering word that opens doors and moves us forward. This week, let’s focus on saying yes! Join me on Facebook.