Some people fear change as much is they fear failure. They don’t realize that by avoiding change and failure they limit their potential to live a rewarding life. The new year is a time many people will set resolutions, desiring to make changes in their life. Instead of avoiding change, they will embrace it for their good. However, we know from experience (at least I do) many of those well-intentioned resolutions will fail. Why? Because change is hard. It’s uncomfortable. It’s messy. It’s scary. And, it’s easy to get discouraged when you don’t see the results you want right away. Even though some change is difficult, it’s not impossible. As you initiate changes in your life you take the driver’s seat to new experiences, opportunities, growth, and excitement. Truth is, you have an advantage! You’ve already navigated many changes in your life up to this point. Your triumphs and lessons will make you that much more successful in the changes ahead.
Here are five ways to find motivation to make positive changes this year.
- Be clear on what you want to change and why you want to change it. Take an inventory of what’s working and what’s not working in your life. What are you most motivated to change? Without motivation, your commitment to change won’t last. Change happens because you yourself want it, not because others want it for you. So identify a change that resonates with you and you will more likely stick to it.
- Let go of excuses. If you’re not satisfied with something in your life, choose to change it. Take responsibility, make a plan, and start taking action toward what you want, instead of making excuses for why you can’t have it. People who insist on using excuses seldom make the changes they desire.
- Remember, change is a process. Change happens in small steps. So, if you feel you are not making changes as quickly as you should–give yourself a break. And, don’t compare your progress with anyone else. Set small goals with small steps.
- Surround yourself with supportive people. When you make changes on your own, without the support of others, it’s more difficult. So, make sure you have a strong community to support you along the way. Community makes it easier. Everyone needs help, asking for it makes you much more successful. Making changes with the support of others boosts your motivation and keeps you accountable.
- Get out of your comfort zone. Ninety percent of what we do everyday is a habit. To change, we must resist the pull to act in the same old way and discover new ways of doing things. Nothing changes until you do something different, and magic occurs outside your comfort zone.
THINK ABOUT IT
- Don’t beat yourself up with “shoulds.” Acknowledge yourself for the really cool changes you’ve made in the last 6 months. Write down the changes that have improved your life the most, and pat yourself on the back.
- What would give your life more meaning? What’s your purpose? Embrace your desire to do something positive in your life.
- Assemble your support and accountability team. Do you have a coach or a team that you can check in with regularly? We invite you to join us at One Degree Shift community.
- What small step can you take today that will move you toward the change you most desire? Do it! Then take the next small step. This is how you create change.